September 7, 2016
This is something a little more aimed for fancy parties, weddings and birthdays. Sugar Free Lemon Meringuesque Cake isn’t too complex but tastes so good!
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1-1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 3-1/2 cups sugar substitute
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups sugar substitute
- 1/2 cups cornstarch
- 2 cups water
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cups butter
- 2 tsp grated lemon
- 2/3 cups lemon juice
- 2 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- Make the Lemon Filling 12-24 hours in advance: Mix sugar and cornstarch in saucepan. Gradually stir in water, and cook over medium heat stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute, gradually stirring in the egg yolks. Stir and boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in butter, lemon peel, lemon juice and food coloring (optional). Refrigerate until next day. Save the egg whites for the meringue.
- Make the Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour two 9×1-1/2 inch round baking or one 13x9x2 baking pan; set pan(s) aside. Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the the butter or margarine with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar; beta til well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in vanilla. Add dry mixture and 1-1/4 cups water alternately to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Pour batter into the prepared pan(s).
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Cool layer cakes in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove layer cakes from pans. Cool thoroughly on racks.
- Assemble Cake: Spread the meringue around the outside of the cake and dots some on the top of the cake. Preheat oven to 350°F and return cake to oven; bake until the meringue is golden brown.