Zucchini Bread is a very tasty use of the Potassium and Vitamin C rich fruit. Zucchinis can be cooked in many was, a few examples: steamed, boiled, grilled, stuffed and baked, barbecued, or fried. But, for today lets stick to the bread.
Yield: 1 loaf
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup finely shredded zucchini
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp finely shredded lemon peel
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of an 8x4x2-inch loaf pan; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt (and nutmeg); set aside.
- In another medium mixing bowl combine shredded zucchini, cooking oil, egg and lemon peel; mix well. Add dry mixture to zucchini mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Fold in walnuts or pecans.
- Spoon batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or till a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove loaf from pan. Cool completely on the wire rack. Wrap and store overnight.
Nutritional Information: Calories 148; Fat 6g (saturated fat 1g); Cholesterol 13mg; Sodium 83mg; Carbohydrates 22g; Fiber 1g; Protein 2g.
Diabetic Values: Vitamin A 80%; Vitamin C 1%; Calcium 1%; Iron 4%