Everyone knows at least a few myths or stereotypes for diabetes.
Common misconceptions about Diabetes:
- Diabetes is caused by eating too much sugar.
- People with diabetes get sick easier.
Diabetics are not more likely to be sick, however being sick can impact the control of diabetes.
- Women with diabetes shouldn’t get pregnant.
Women with well managed diabetes can have normal pregnancies and give birth to healthy babies.
- People with diabetes can feel when their blood glucose levels get too low.
Some people cannot recognize or feel symptoms of low blood glucose levels. This can be very dangerous.
- You need to lose a large amount of weight for your diabetes to improve.
Only losing around 7% of your body weight can result in significant health benefits. (around 15lbs if you are 200lbs)